Saturday, May 24, 2008

San Diego Motorcycle Tank Paintless Dent Repair/Removal

If you have never seen paintless dent removal performed of a motorcycle tank then here's your chance. Most motorcycle tanks can be somewhat very tricky. Access, how thick the gage of the metal and tip location can be the most challenging.

I always wanted to film a motorcycle tank but in most cases I either forgot my video camera or just forgot I had it with me. But lately, I have filmed 2 last week. This one you see here I will be making a training dvd that will be out later next month.



I find most PDR techs are interested doing motorcycle tanks but are afraid to take on a job because they aren't sure what it will exactly entail. Tools, tips, leverage and reading the line board all play a part. Although sometimes it's just plain bad luck and you may not even be able to reach because of a baffle inside blocking access. Glue pulling can be an option but I find some motorcycles (like Harley) don't have a real strong clear coat and pulling paint is a risk. Even at that, sometimes the dents are too sharp for pulling. But for the most part, it's a good challenge I enjoy doing.

About This Repair

This PDR repair was performed on a GSXR Suzuki 1000. It actually had 3 dents. One I could not remove completely because it was hit so deep against the body line but I improved it a lot. It took me about 2 hours to complete. I used a few tools which I will name in my PDR dvd. I plan to give lots of good info and tips about performing PDR on motorcycle tanks.

I had to be patient and cross check my work at all times. Careful pushes with accurate pressure helped create a clean removal. These tanks are always a challenge but heck, it is what it is.

Hope you enjoy and look out for the tutorial next month.

No comments: